Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Cover #1: Inokasira Rangers covers "Geno" by Dexy's Midnight Runners

 A couple of days ago, during one of my frequent spelunking excursions in Bandcamp, I ran across a page for the Inokasira Rangers, who are a Japanese band specializing in ska and rocksteady covers.  A few years ago they put out an all-cover album of British punk and new wave songs, Rangers Patrol 1977-1982 UK!  The covers are mostly good, all instrumental, and the song selections are interesting (for example, choosing "The Great Rock and Roll Swindle" and "What Do I Get?" instead of more obvious choices).  

Even though I did not know the original, their cover of "Geno" by Dexy's Midnight Runners caught my ear.  Maybe because I did not know the original, I heard echoes of Desmond Dekker's "Warlock" in the arrangement.  I did just now listen to a couple different versions of "Geno" by DMR, and it does seem like a very suitable song for the Inokasira Rangers to cover.  Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment