Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Cover #14: Baby Buell covers "Funtime" by Iggy Pop

I get quite a few emails from record labels announcing new items and reissues, and I try to give most of them at least a quick look see just in case.  I saw one today about Baby Buell, a name I haven't heard in decades.  Apparently she did an ep of covers back in 1981, and there is a reissue with two extra tracks.  I can't imagine there are many people craving Bebe Buell reissues, but as it turns out she is promoting a book about her life running around with rock stars, and the Hozac label (why, guys?) are selling the book along with a digital reissue of these not in demand tracks.  
 
I'm not familiar enough with some of the originals, but I am with this one, and her cover is dreadful.  The music is devoid of all life, the exact opposite of what you expect in an Iggy song.  The vocals are flabby.  This song was produced by Ric Ocasek, and while he was responsible for some really incredible songs, this is not one of them.  
 
💩

No comments:

Post a Comment