Friday, January 19, 2024

Cover #59: Bee Gees and Dianne Steinberg cover "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by The Beatles

 I remember seeing this movie when it came out in the theater.  I was about eleven years old and I did not know The Beatles very well but I was up on my Top 40 radio at that age so I knew Bee Gees, Peter Frampton, Aerosmith, and Steve Martin well enough.  I remember people walking out of the theater in the middle of the movie saying "this is awful!"  I did not really know what to think of the movie but I was surprised that someone who paid good money for a movie ticket would leave partway through.

History has shown, of course, that the movie (especially) and the soundtrack are some of the worst ideas in music history.  Greed? Vanity?  Drugs?  In that period of time, who knows.  

Other than the Aerosmith cover, I have not re-listened to any of these soundtrack versions since the movie came out.  I'm not sure if I have the stomach to try any others, though, because this cover is truly putrid.  No wonder this movie and soundtrack were vilified so.  💩

No comments:

Post a Comment