Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Cover #120: The Todd Grubbs Group covers "Transylvania Boogie" by Frank Zappa

 Frank Zappa's music gets covered a lot.  Maybe not as much as The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or Bob Dylan, but still, a lot.  On the other hand, I'm not sure if even those big name artists have yielded as many full tribute albums as Zappa has.  I personally own over sixty CDs that are full Frank Zappa cover albums, and I know that is not even close to most of what's available in terms of Zappa tribute albums.  From a Zappa tribute album I just picked up yesterday, called Mappa Zappa, we have this hear cover song.  "Transylvania Boogie" is rarely covered; in fact, I'm not sure if I have heard anyone cover this instrumental from Chunga's Revenge before.  How is it?  Really good.  The guitar player in this band turns down the fuzz and turns up the wah pedal, so it sounds a bit like Joe Satriani on the guitar, but this is a satisfying version.  I can't give any points for originality for the performance, but extra credit for choosing this overlooked gem of a song.   ✅✅✅✅

No comments:

Post a Comment